52. Has COVID-19 derailed your career? Interview with recruitment expert Geoff Slade.Oct 19, 2020
About our guest, Geoff Slade:
Geoff Slade has worked at the forefront of the Recruitment Industry for over 50 years. He is the Executive Chairman of Slade Group and TRANSEARCH International Australia. Geoff is also Chairman of Yellow Folder Research and Skillstream Australia. He is involved in several professional associations and is a Non-Executive Director of Alzheimer's Victoria.
A Chartered Management Consultant, Geoff is a past President of the Recruitment & Consulting Services Association (RCSA) - Geoff was, in fact, the founding Chairman of RCSA, the industry's education body. He was awarded a Centenary Medal for services to the recruitment industry. Many of Australia's leading consultants have worked for and been trained by Geoff at various times in the last three decades. He is also a regular speaker at major industry conferences.
In 1967, Geoff relocated to London to take Slade to the international market, initially creating GW Slade and Associates. By 1988 and looking for a change, Geoff sold GW Slade to Blue Arrow (later known as Manpower), a British multinational pursuing international expansion. Geoff took up a newly created role as the Head of Human Resources with Pacific Dunlop. In 1991, Geoff re-launched Slade Group, which quickly moved to the forefront of recruitment in Australia, where it remains today.
About the Reset your Career program:
We can all agree that 2020 has been a complicated year, and maybe you and other professionals like you at some point have lost track of your career goals, your focus, and your ambitions. Most importantly, lockdown, working from home, and unemployment have left many of us disconnected from what employers are now searching for in their new hires.
Reset Your Career is a program to kickstart our engines and put you back on track. It was designed by yours truly (yes, that's me, Renata Bernarde, the host of this podcast, career coach, and job hunting expert) to launch or reset your job hunting with a series of masterclasses and a 31-day action plan. It is perfect for professionals and executives in-between jobs in 2020 and hoping to find work in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors.
In a hybrid program that mixes self-guided content and live Zoom gatherings, I will personally take you through the step-by-step of how to reset your career and start getting your job search plans into gear.
The Slade Group Team will be collaborating with me during the workshop, with Geoff Slade giving the welcome address and recruiters from Slade presenting one of the sessions (A Recruiters' Panel). This is an exciting opportunity for job hunters and career enthusiasts who want to hear the news on the ground, combining the career advice I can provide with the recruitment intelligence from the Slade Team.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 06:29 – Massive recruitment drives don't happen anymore, even before COVID-19.
- 09:43 – Where is the bulk of work available for corporate professionals in their 30s or 40s?
- 12:08 – What are the knowledge gaps that career coaches like Renata can help with?
- 19:27 – Other employment crises: What Geoff has seen and learned from previous downturns.
- 30:44 – Common misunderstandings about the selection process and the role of the recruiter.
- 38:49 – The importance of networking.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The episode with Anita Ziemer, Executive Director of Slade Group: 35. "Let me call you back" - Recruitment trends shaping the job market in 2020
- The episode with Julian Doherty, Managing Director of Yellow Folder Research: 50. What employers want: Skills and attributes needed for business recovery - with Julian Doherty.
- Click here to open the transcript of this episode on our new blog.