50. What employers want: Skills and attributes needed for business recovery - with Julian Doherty.Oct 05, 2020
Julian Doherty has over thirteen years of leadership, consulting, and research experience managing business intelligence, executive search, and management consulting engagements for ASX Top 50, private, government, not-for-profit, and higher education clients.
In 2011 he founded Yellow Folder Research to disrupt incumbent executive search providers and the agency recruitment model. Julian believes that service and technology innovation allows consultants to meet evolved, current client needs, whereas traditional vendors refuse to update their service model. Before founding Yellow Folder, Julian was Head of Research at Slade Partners.
Having the opportunity to interview someone who is doing job market research for top employers in Australia, Asia, New Zealand, and the UK is why I started this podcast. We need up-to-date insight into what's happening in the job market. This means knowing what do employers want now, not what they needed 6 months ago!
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 04:05 – About Yellow Folder
- 08:08 – Potential issues with long headhunting processes
- 12:50 – Julian's career journey
- 17:12 – What keeps employers awake at night
- 25:22 – Changing sectors: Employers' appetite for hiring professionals with transferable skills and experience
- 32:11 – Pay cuts and salary range
- 37:29 – Is the recruitment industry broken?
- 39:26 – The difference between your LinkedIn profile, your resume, and cover letters
- 45:12 – What keeps Julian awake at night?
- 47:13 – What keeps his clients awake at night?
- 48:52 – Hiring freezes
- 51:00 – Retraining vs. experience
Links Mentioned in This Episode: