192. Become a changemaker: What job hunters can learn from Alex BudakJun 26, 2023
In the latest episode of our podcast, I had the privilege of sitting down with Alex Budak, a renowned social entrepreneur, author, speaker, and faculty member at UC Berkeley. With his wildly popular course, "Becoming a Changemaker," Alex has been at the forefront of inspiring and empowering a new generation of change-makers. In this episode, he shares valuable insights into the philosophy and practice of change-making, offering advice for professionals seeking to adapt and thrive in our ever-changing world.
Alex and I discuss the importance of embracing the concept of change-making during career transitions, the negative impact of sunk cost mentality in enabling change to happen, and incorporating AI into professional development. Alex shares insights on finding a different path that may be more fulfilling and his personal experience of coming second for a desired job.
This episode is ideal for those looking to make a substantive change in their careers and don't know how to start or why they feel inclined to change. Alex has a great understanding of the human entrepreneurial nature and will inspire you to embrace yours too!
About our guest:
As a faculty member at UC Berkeley, Alex Budak teaches "Becoming a Changemaker" and plays a crucial role in directing the Berkeley Haas Global Access Program. His expertise extends to teaching in Berkeley Executive Education programs. Alex is also the co-founder of StartSomeGood, an organization that has supported over 1,200 change-makers across 50 countries, enabling them to raise millions of dollars for impactful initiatives. His book, "Becoming a Changemaker," has received endorsements from Nobel Prize winners, Olympic athletes, and, most significantly, his former students. A graduate of UCLA and Georgetown University, Alex's passion for change-making is evident in his diverse accomplishments. You can learn more from Aled Budak and buy his book on his website.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 03:12 - Alex Budak shares his career story
- 08:40 - The key strengths that have helped Alex carve out his career path
- 15:25 - Alex's definition of change-making and who changemakers are
- 17:14 - The reasons behind his dedication to studying and advocating for change-making
- 19:02 - Exploring the concept of change-making as a state of mind, not just a job or responsibility
- 21:45 - The importance and benefits of becoming a change-maker
- 28:39 - The influence of AI
- 30:30 - Impact of AI to change-makers
- 34:25 - Alex's practical advice for professionals currently in transition, i.e., between jobs