97. Two career experts discuss what makes professionals successful at job-hunting - with Mac Prichard.
The key to success in job hunting is understanding how recruitment works.
Mac Prichard is a fellow podcaster and hosts the Find Your Dream Job podcast. I noticed from reviewing my podcast statistics that my listeners were also listening to Mac's podcast. So I decided to reach out to him and introduce myself. He wrote a lovely review for The Job Hunting Podcast on iTunes, and I invited him to come in for a chat.
In this episode, Mac and I discuss crucial learnings from our careers that motivated us to help job-hunters understand how recruitment works. Mac runs a job board and career hub in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, so I had many questions for him:
- What led Mac to start a job board
- Why he believes it's essential for professionals to understand how recruitment work
- How the pandemic affected Mac's job board and how it's recovering
- What are the professional skills that he believes are important for a post-pandemic workplace
- How are workplaces going to build an organizational culture in a virtual world
- And many others.
This quote from Mac summarizes our chat nicely: "Selling yourself is important, but it's not everything. You have to know what you want to do, where you want to work, and what you offer to employers." I couldn't agree more.
About our guest, Mac Prichard:
Mac Prichard is on a mission to create more human hiring processes to improve the workforce for all. He is the founder and publisher of Mac's List, a job board and career hub for the Pacific Northwest. It serves job seekers and employers in Oregon and Washington with its top-tier job board and courses, books, events, and other resources that bring people together to find better jobs and happier careers. Mac's List became a Certified B Corporation in 2017.
Mac built two small businesses on the strength of his professional network, and he has taught thousands of people how to grow their careers through relationships with others. Mac shows job seekers and employers how to break down the barriers by teaching empathy, curiosity, and people-focused hiring with a practical, nuts-and-bolts style. He is also the author of the book "Land Your Dream Job Anywhere" and the host of the weekly career advice podcast Find Your Dream Job. To learn more about Mac and Mac's List, please check his website www.macslist.org and LinkedIn profile linkedin.com/in/macprichard.
Mac and I share our mission to help others be successful at job-hunting. I hope you enjoy this conversation and that it helps raise awareness for the essential issues you will need to tackle to achieve your career goals.
Watch it on YouTube:
Podcast Episode Timestamps:
- 09:11 - What led Mac to start a job board
- 14:21 - The importance of understanding how recruitment works
- 18:33 - How the pandemic affected Mac's job board and how it's recovering
- 21:30 - Professional skills that are important for a post-pandemic workplace
- 27:52 - Building organizational culture in a virtual world
Links mentioned in this episode: