96. Recruitment and selection without resumes - with Dina Bayasanova Ph.D
What if you could apply for a job without a resume?
We are so accustomed to the traditional ways of doing things, and it's sometimes hard to imagine what it would be like to do things differently. Frankly, recruitment and selection are out of pace with the new world, and our guest for this episode is ahead of the game.
Our guest for this podcast episode is Dina Bayasanova, the Co-Founder and CEO of the skills-based talent marketplace, PitchMe. Dina has established herself as a thought leader in the future of the work industry. We discussed many key issues facing job candidates going through recruitment and selection, especially how the traditional process fails both parties.
A good example of why it needs improvement is the urgent need to look at soft skills instead of hard skills alone: "Soft skills, which are highly transferable, can't be taught in a short space of time, whereas hard skills can be part of training within a person's working position." says Dina.
We also discussed the need for adaptability and transferable skills to be better understood by employers and how to showcase skills that can transfer between roles and sectors that can be applied to different business areas and help employees pivot in future roles.
Watch it on YouTube:
Are there other ways to do recruitment and selection?
Here are three main problems of recruitment and selection:
- Fast-paced work environment: businesses are developing way faster than they used to. And the traditional recruitment doesn't really catch up with the speed of hiring need.
- Professionals are acquiring skills in a non-linear way: More than ever, learning cannot only be assessed by a candidate's traditional education or past employment. Knowledge acquisition is now happening in various ways, such as online education, reading and listening daily, news, and podcasts; so much can contribute to skills acquisition.
- The traditional CV failed to present the full potential of a person.
Why should employers value and hire more career shifters?
In our interview, Dina Bayasanova provides the following tips for employers, which are also applicable to job hunters:
- Employers should write down the skills they are looking for: professional and interpersonal skills, and then group them by requirements.
- Assess the skills list (from above) by asking the following questions:
- How are these skills going to be applied to the role you are advertising?
- What are their skills going to be achieving for the organization?
- What is expected from the new employee?
- Who is the employee going to be communicating with?
- Who is the best line manager for this role?
- What are the role responsibilities and the assessment criteria?
- Do the best job you can to attract top talent: Companies need to work harder to attract the best talent. Candidates have a variety of opportunities to choose from.
Dina's advice to job hunters:
- Google yourself and revise your digital footprint.
- If you have done anything which can showcase and improve your existing skillset, don't hesitate to demonstrate it.
- Work on your LinkedIn and try to network with people within the sector or the potential companies you are applying to. Network with people and understand their hiring process.
Podcast Episode Timestamps:
- 05:17 - Dina's career
- 07:49 - What is Pitch Me
- 18:51 - Why Dina wanted to disrupt recruitment
- 21:00 - Video component in recruitment
- 24:18 - Employers should hire career shifters
- 28:27 - How employers should advertise for jobs
- 33:18 - Dina's advice to job hunters
Links mentioned in this episode:
About our guest, Dina Bayasanova:
Dina Bayasanova is the Co-Founder and CEO of the skills-based talent marketplace, PitchMe. Before co-founding PitchMe, Dina spent 12 years working for oil and gas multinationals, including Gazprom, Enel, and Zurich Investment Services. Today, Dina has established herself as a thought-leader in the future of the work industry. She has been a mentor at the Exeter Entrepreneurship society and King’s College in London. She has spoken at numerous events, such as the Entrepreneur.com SYOB series and TEDTalk LSE. Dina was also the winner of the MIT Inclusive Innovation Challenge in 2019. She holds a Ph.D. in Economics. Find out more about PitchMe.
Are you new to The Job Hunting Podcast? If so, here is a bit about your host:
Hello, I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you are ready, and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you. In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I have developed a range of courses and services for professionals in career or job transition. And, of course, I also coach private clients.
So there is no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career.
- Free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster.
- Or please email me at [email protected].
Please support The Job Hunting Podcast: Follow, subscribe, share, rate, and review:
Thank you so much again for listening to the episode. If you enjoyed the content, please leave us a review and give it a 5-star rating on your podcast platform of choice. A review is the best gift you can give to a podcaster; I'll be so happy you wouldn't believe it! Writing a review and giving it five stars helps the podcast reach more people like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement. You can subscribe, listen, rate & review The Job Hunting Podcast on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Audible / Amazon
- Google Podcasts
- Listen Notes
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now!
Renata Bernarde | Job Hunting Expert | Founder, Pantala Academy