54. The importance of staying healthy and positive while looking for a job - with wellbeing expert Susan Hunter
Losing your job and being between jobs for an extended period of time can be tough; a mental and physical roller-coaster ride. Recruitment and selection is a challenging process to go through. For those without a coach or a strong support system, it can be very lonely. There's also the potential for lack of structure and routine - which professionals in the corporate sector are so used to - making you feel without a roadmap to follow. And finally, success is unpredictable when applying for roles. It is rare for a professional between jobs not to experience a high degree of failure before getting a new role. And failure at this level is a new experience for many professionals.
This is an important episode to listen to as we reach the tail end of an unpredictable year. If you are currently unemployed, it's time to review your plans and set new goals. You can use my program Reset Your Career to help you with that. But first, listen to this episode, and make sure you are taking care of your well-being, sleep, and keeping a positive mindset.
About our guest, Susan Hunter:
Susan Hunter is a naturopath and well-being expert who works with individuals and organizations to optimize their physical and mental well-being. Susan runs a practice called Human 2.0, where she helps people optimize their bodies and improve their biology and psychology. She has developed a reputation for employing deep care, empathy, authenticity, and understanding of nutritional biochemistry to achieve transformative results.
Susan has 15 years of clinical experience in nutrition and integrative functional medicine. She has a double degree qualification in naturopathy with a background in psychology.
- 03:55 – Susan’s career story
- 07:29 – The importance of sleep
- 10:39 – Importance of routine
- 14:29 – Sleep epidemic
- 20:04 – Controlling the controllable
- 21:41 – How to cope with losing your job
- 27:30 – Activities that help your mental well being
- 29:42 – Dealing with long-term anxiety
- 32:19 – What is "manifesting"
- 37:09 – Susan’s morning routine
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Susan Hunter’s website
- The SuperHuman Summit with Susan Hunter
- LeBron James and His Top Secret Trainer, Mike Mancias | The Tim Ferriss Show (Podcast)
- Book: Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive by Marc Brackett
- Book: The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
- Yoga with Adrienne
- Download a transcript of this episode