48. Emerging jobs and technologies - with Associate Professor Catherine Ball.
This episode was recorded LIVE during the 2020 Digital Innovation Forum (#DIF2020), organized by the Department of Job, Precincts, and Regions, State of Victoria, Australia. When the opportunity arose, I immediately thought of Catherine Ball as a perfect guest for this partnership between The Job Hunting Podcast and #DIF2020. She's full of energy and generous in sharing her ideas, knowledge, and advice. There was minimal prompting needed from me!
Catherine is one of the most prolific, efficient professionals and entrepreneurs I know. She also blends entrepreneurialism, academia, and corporate life seamlessly, at least from the outside. I am sure there's a great deal of hard work going on to keep all her engines going; she gives us a little bit of insight into how she manages it all.
This episode is one to be enjoyed and listened to a couple of times. It's also full of optimism and hope for a fantastic future of work.
Catherine is currently promoting a masterclass on Influence and Leadership, which, if you are lucky, you may be able to access for free using this link below. If not, it's still pretty cheap, so I recommend you invest it in if you are interested in managing a portfolio career or starting your own business consulting on the side: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 04:42 – Catherine's career journey.
- 09:48 – Managing a portfolio career and entrepreneurial projects: How does she do it!?
- 16.22 – How to charge for your services when you are a consultant.
- 18:22 – STEM and innovation.
- 27:45 – Diversity and innovation.
- 29:11 – Let's talk jobs! In-demand jobs in the (very near) future.
- 33:27 – Emerging jobs and technologies: for entry-level professionals, mid-level managers, and executives.
- 36:23 – Senior executives and technology.
- 42:38 – Emerging technologies: How is Australia faring?
- 48:32 – Final words of wisdom.
Links Mentioned in This Episode: