45. The future of offices and teamwork - with workplace strategist Su Lim
Following the COVID outbreak, the necessary reforms to workplace occupational health and safety as well as our experiences working remotely will most certainly shape how we use the office space in the future. How do you imagine things are going to change?
In this episode of The Job Hunting Podcast, we have a very special guest to address this and many questions I had in relation to workplaces, office space, the dynamics of working from home versus working in an office, and how to be productive in both. Her name is Su Lim. I interviewed her a few weeks ago just as we were starting stage four of lockdown here in Melbourne.
Su is a workplace strategist and organizational coach. Selfishly, I wanted to get her insight into why is it so good to work from home for certain things, on the other hand, why is it so hard for me to get other projects going?!
This was an episode I was really looking forward to recording. I have been a client of Su's business, and I know how wonderful it can be to have experts helping design great workplaces for collaboration, concentration, productivity, and creativity. I hope you enjoy this chat as well!
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 14:49 – Su’s expertise and description of what she does.
- 15:29 – The power of the physical space.
- 19:29 – What are the trends and expectations once we go back to the office.
- 28:36 – New office spaces transitioning to a collaborative work environment?
- 31:21 - Has Su already been engaged by clients to consider new workspaces or redesign, readjust what is already there?
- 32:57 – Can we go back to the workplaces that we have, as they are designed, right now?
- 34:53 – What are the things to look out for and raise your concerns if you are concerned about your workplace?
- 36:52 – Tips and ideas for people working from home and finding it hard to be productive.
- 39:20 – Su's consulting work: helping companies with physical space and remote working.
- 42:04 – The possibility of employees being based in rural areas, overseas, and interstate for remote working.
- 45:43 – Risk management for remote work.
- 49:53 – What the effects of COVID could be in terms of bringing people together as a community.
- 52:07 – What keeps Su awake at night?
- Download a transcript of this episode
Important links to connect with me:
- My website
- Join the Reset Your Career and subscribe to the newsletter
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast
- Where to watch the live career coaching sessions
Book a Linkedin audit or a consultation with me. Find out more about my services:
I'd love it if you could give this podcast a 5-star review:
I hope you learned a lot today in making job hunting better for you. Don’t forget to follow this podcast and leave a 5-star rating and ranking on iTunes. It helps so much! With your help, this podcast can reach others who need career support. The way to do that is to give it a 5-star rating and review, so that iTunes knows it's a good podcast to recommend to others. Please scroll to the bottom of this link, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review”
Are you new to this blog and podcast?
Hello and welcome! I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach professionals in the corporate, non-profit, and public sectors the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you ready and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I have created a series of free tools and resources, I run free live career coaching sessions, the Job Hunting Made Simple online course, and the coaching I do with my private clients. So there is really no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
Remember you can always reach out to me if it’s time to start investing in your career progression. Check my website - there’s a link above - and find out more about my services, as well as free resources I have created just for you.
Ciao for now!
Renata Bernarde | Virtual Coach | Career Management Strategist | Job Hunting Expert