166. A former Google executive recruiter answers my most popular job-search questions.Dec 26, 2022
Do you want to learn how to answer the infamous salary question? Have you wondered, "Can I apply multiple times for the same organization?" Do you need to explain a career gap? If so, this episode is for you! There's nothing like learning from the expert! Ginny Clarke has extensive experience recruiting senior leaders for Google and other sought-after employers. So, given we had her for a whole hour for this episode, I collated a range of questions from podcast listeners and clients and asked her those questions.
Listen to this episode if you:
- Want to learn how to answer the infamous salary question
- Have wondered: "Can I apply multiple times for the same organization?"
- Have been the internal candidate up for promotion
- Need to explain a career gap
- Worry about your references
- And much more!
About our guest:
Ginny Clarke was most recently Director, Executive Recruiting at Google from August 2016 until November 2020. In this role, she led the Diversity, Non-tech Recruiting, and Leadership Internal Mobility teams. Before Google, Ginny was a Partner at Spencer Stuart, the global executive search firm, where she co-founded and led the firm's Global Diversity Practice. Currently, Ginny runs Ginny Clarke, LLC, her own talent and leadership consulting business. She is also an active keynote speaker, host, and creator of the podcast Fifth Dimensional Leadership and the author of Career Mapping: Charting Your Course in the New World of Work (2011). Click here to learn more about Ginny.
4:04 Ginny Clarke's Career
19:35 Question 1: The salary question
22:09 Question 2: Applying multiple times for the same organization
26:32 Question 3: The internal candidate - the Google experience
30:12 Question 4: Explaining a career gap
37:23 Question 5: References
41:42 Question 6: Social media presence
47:16 Question 7: Career advancement - applying for a role above yours
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The conversation I had with the two recruiters mentioned in this episode is now episode 149 of The Job Hunting Podcast.
- Wendy Metter is the former NorthWestern University Coach who now works independently, providing career consulting services to young professionals.
- Podcast episode with Sacha Koffman: 122. Overcoming career setbacks.
- Book mentioned by Ginny: The Heroes Journey, Joseph Campbell.
Other ways to enjoy this podcast:
Click here to open the transcript of this episode on our new blog.