157. Behavioral interview questions: Why they don’t always work and what to do about it - with Lou Adler.Oct 24, 2022
Lou Adler has been helping companies find and hire talented professionals for over four decades. More than 40 thousand recruiters and hiring managers have attended his workshops. He is the CEO and founder of The Adler Group – a consulting and training firm helping companies implement "Win-Win Hiring" programs using Lou's signature system, Performance-based Hiring℠ . Lou is the author of Hire With Your Head, The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired, and has been featured on Fox News, Inc. Magazine, BusinessInsider, Bloomberg, and The Wall Street Journal.
I first came across Lou's work on LinkedIn since he's a prolific contributor to that platform, writing many excellent posts and articles directed mainly at supporting recruiters and hiring managers. He's been on my wishlist for a guest spot on this podcast for a long time, so I'm delighted we finally had the chance to discuss issues we are both passionate about.
Lou and I discuss several recruitment topics, including the best and worst job interview questions, the best way to answer them, and recruitment technology. We provide many good examples of best practices that we hope can help you prepare for future job interviews.
This is a long episode, but there was no way I would cut any part of it because it's all gold for you! If you're interested to learn more about how to advance in the recruitment and selection process, this episode is a must-listen.
About our guest:
Lou Adler is the CEO and founder of Performance-based Hiring Learning Systems – a consulting and training firm helping recruiters and hiring managers around the world source, interview, and engage the most robust and diverse talent. Lou is the author of the Amazon top-10 best-seller, Hire With Your Head (John Wiley & Sons, 4th Edition, 2021), The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired (Workbench Media, 2013), and LinkedIn Learning's Performance-based Hiring video training program (2016). The latest Edition of Hire With Your Head describes how to implement Performance-based Hiring to build outstanding diverse teams. Adler is one of the top bloggers on LinkedIn's Influencer program writing about the latest trends in hiring, employment, and recruiting. His articles, quotes, and research can now be found in Inc. Magazine, Business Insider, Bloomberg, SHRM, and The Wall Street Journal. The company's mobile-ready Win-Win Hiring learning platform provides instant access to all the tools needed to find and hire outstanding talent.
- 4:05 - What led Lou Adler to work in the recruitment industry?
- 8:57 - Mistakes in an interview process
- 17:52 - Biased interview questions
- 23:30 - Changing jobs: before the pandemic and now
- 29:29 - Lou's view on today's recruitment technology
- 34:42 - Lou's Win-win hiring system
- 38:13 - Switching jobs for a higher pay
- 39:41 - Red flags during the recruitment process
- 42:55 - Deadly sins of recruitment
- 50:33 - Lou Adler's view on passive job search
- 53:07 - Lou Adler's secret: How to have longevity and recognized expertise throughout your career
- 57:46 - Lou Adler's final advice to job hunters
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Interview with Nick Birbilis: 99. Attracting and hiring top talent - with Nick Birbilis.
- Lou Adler's book, Hire With Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Outstanding Diverse Teams.
- Lou Adler's article: Don't Change Jobs Unless You Get a 30 Percent Increase.