137. Working for yourself vs working for a company: My personal experience and recommendations.Jun 07, 2022
I get asked a lot by my clients what it's like to work for myself. We also discuss this option when working on the client's future goals and career plans. So, in this episode, I wanted to share with you my experience working for myself since 2019, compared with my previous experience being an employee from 2002 until the end of 2018.
Before 2002, I also had my own business from 1993 until 2000 and took a year to study in 2001. You can learn more about my career story by watching or listening to episode number 62 of the Job Hunting Podcast. I have also recorded an episode on how to transition from a corporate job to being a business owner. But this episode is different: it's a comparison of the two different work types and lifestyles. Also important to note as you listen to this episode is that I am in Australia. So wherever you are in the world, you may need to translate some of these concepts to your local terminology, especially if it has to do with tax benefits.
There are always pros and cons to every path you take in life. It's also important to ensure the decision you take suits you at this specific time of your life. After listening to this episode, you will know that, at times, it was great for me to have my own business, including right now. But there were also times when all I wanted was a permanent job. There is no right or wrong answer, just the correct answer for you.
I hope that you find this episode helpful when trying to plan your next career steps. If you need my support, please don't hesitate to reach out. You can find out more about my services here.
Reasons to love working for myself:
- 21:50 - I'm my own boss
- 24:13 - You can earn more money
- 28:22 - Flexibility and balance
- 30:33 - I am happier
- 32:08 - I spend less
- 33:33 - I am entrepreneurial
- 34:04 - It can be more financially secure than having a job
- 38:21 - Potential tax savings
Advantages of working for a company:
- 39:52 - Regular paychecks
- 40:31 - You can focus on what you do best
- 41:15 - Teamwork
- 42:52 - Pay package and benefits
- 44:13 - Regular working hours.
- 45:15 - Opportunities only available in your sector
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Reset Your Career Workshop & Action Plan
- Subscribe to my newsletter
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 62: My Career Story
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 79: From corporate job to business owner
- Join my Facebook Group - it's free!
- Follow me on Instagram and LinkedIn
- Register for an Australian business number (ABN)
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 78: Portfolio Career
This episode was brought to you by Reset Your Career
The Reset Your Career Workshop, Action Plan, and Resources were designed to put your career back on track. The workshop will deliver the knowledge you need to be inspired and out of this COVID conundrum. After watching, you will be able to make significant decisions for your future job search and career goals.
Then, the 31-Day Action Plan ensures that you continue to build a routine that leads to a successful job search and career advancement.
Plus, inside the Reset Your Career platform, you will find resources, templates, and extra content to ensure you have all the knowledge and tools you need to start a successful job search and develop your future career goals. This includes resume and cover letter templates!
And the best thing is that it's available to you right now, so there is no need to wait! Don't miss out on finally getting the specific guidance you need to succeed in taking control of your career.
Click Here to Reset Your Career Now!