133. You’re not alone: What to do when everyone decides to rethink their careers.
It's natural to rethink your career. We're in unprecedented times, causing many of us to review our career paths, consider taking a break or search for new opportunities.
In this episode, we will discuss strategies to increase your employability, even if you decided to take a career break, which many professionals are doing due to pandemic burnout.
When I develop ideas for episodes, I make a few assumptions about my listeners. For example, I assume they are ambitious for their career. Otherwise, why would they be listening to The Job Hunting Podcast!? I assume, of course, that they want a job and want to live their lives with purpose, as opposed to finding whatever job is available. They want to find a job aligned with their values.
Leading a purposeful life is a very post-covid sentiment. Everyone wants it. However, the outcome of two years of working and living under unusual circumstances has taken a toll. Many of us are burnout.
People "feel so apathetic now they're having to deal with the coronavirus and feel exhausted. They literally just want to lie down with a book, or sit and watch some TV, rather than keep the momentum going by working hard," says Kerry Allen, the BBC's China media analyst.
It's normal to want to take a break. Don't be hard on yourself for feeling unmotivated.
In this episode, I will:
- Discuss what's happening with the labor force and why the unemployment rate is so low. It is not because the economy is thriving. It's way more complicated than that.
- Offer you two better ways to assess your chances of getting your next job fast. A clue: it is not the unemployment rate!
- Explain the importance of paying attention to trends and what type of news to consume if you want to advance in your career.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast Ep. 108. How long does it take to find a new job?
- Learn about my career services on my website.
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter for job hunters and career enthusiasts.
- Learn about my group coaching and online course, Job Hunting Made Simple.
- Download my free resource - Optimized Job Search Schedule: Free Workbook and Masterclass, to start a successful job search routine.
- Download a transcript of this episode.