121. Impostor syndrome and fear of success: A conversation with Michelle Redfern.Feb 14, 2022
We have a very different episode on The Job Hunting Podcast, where I have swapped chairs with a past guest, Michelle Redfern, from episode 37, and she is the one interviewing me.
Michelle has recently launched her podcast with her business partner Mel Butcher, The Lead to Soar Podcast, and they are killing it. Sticking to their strength in supporting women in leadership, they have lined up a great guest list, so I recommend that you check it out, follow, subscribe, and leave them your support in the form of a 5-star ranking and a great review, because nothing makes a podcast host happier and receiving Feedback believe me.
This interview in its entirety is on Michelle's podcast. Of course, I have edited her intro out with her blessing and repurposed it for you to listen to. There are great episodes in her show you should listen to, like the Agile Leader and Giving and Receiving Feedback which I think are topics you wouldn't find here on The Job Hunting Podcast. Still, they are such great complimentary conversations to what we discuss in this show, yes? Let's enjoy this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode:
The Job Hunting Podcast Ep 100. Fear of success: Why it happens and how to overcome it.
Lead to Soar Podcast Episode L2S E44: Overcoming Your Fear of Success with Renata Bernarde.
The Job Hunting podcast Ep 37. The missing 33%: The CEO confidant improving diversity and inclusion in corporate Australia.
Subscribe to A Career That Soars
- Click here to open the transcript of this episode on our new blog.
- [06:55] What Renata does and why
- [10:00] How do people know when to reach out to Renata to get coaching?
- [16:40] Why do people not want to play big.
- [18:04] Is there a difference between men and women when it comes to job hunting
- [24:24] Tips on how to apply for jobs
- [31:40] The difference between applying for a job post-pandemic vs. pre-pandemic
- [33:37] Robots are reading your resume
- [35:00] The tale of the Sword of Damocles, and how it has influenced our fear of success
- [40:23] What to do when you're "tapped on the shoulder"?
About Michelle Redfern:
Michelle Redfern is the founder of Advancing Women, an enterprise providing research and advisory services on workplace gender equality, inclusion, and diversity. She is co-host of A Career that Soars!, the founder of women's network Women Who Gets It, co-founder of CDW (Culturally Diverse Women), and the Lead to Soar podcast host.
Michelle is an experienced Non-Executive Director with Board and advisory roles in the finance, sport, purpose, and supply chain sectors. She is a proud Ambassador for Flexible Working Day and Girls Uniform Agenda. She has held executive leadership roles at ASX & FTSE listed companies NAB, Telstra, and Serco during her 30-year corporate career.
Michelle is a graduate of the AICD, holds an Executive MBA (Distinction), and has various accreditations in organizational diversity and coaching. She is an in-demand speaker and is a regular contributor to the discussion and advocate for gender equality and inclusion in sports and business workplaces.
Michelle's Podcast, Lead to Soar, is a podcast for career-woman looking to advance inside an organization (i.e., working for companies, governments, non-profits). The show is hosted by Michelle Redfern and Mel Butcher and is a production of A Career that Soars!