110. Three reasons why I quit my job.
Quitting a job is a big decision, so I'm sharing the three reasons that allowed me to quit my corporate job and move into coaching. This episode was inspired by Elizabeth Gilbert’s concept of being pushed or pushing yourself. When I left my corporate job, I was pushed by being made redundant, and if I hadn't been pushed, I might not have pushed myself back then. Now I push myself.
Here are the three reasons I felt ready to quit my corporate career:
1. Risk management analysis showed I could afford to take a risk.
When I was thinking about no longer looking for another job, I started with a risk management analysis. This showed me that I could afford to take this risk. Generally, I live a somewhat frugal lifestyle. We had savings, and I was 47 at the time. I was also married, and my partner was employed, and we had the benefit of having a dual income. This meant I knew I could take the risk with my basic needs met.
2. I knew that ownership was more important to me than income generation.
I get excited about the business being mine. That was the biggest factor. I wasn't expecting it to be a profitable business off the bat, but I wanted the ability to call the shots and make the decisions in my business.
3. I don’t care what others think.
This is the final reason and possibly the hardest one. I don’t compare myself with others, so I was able to make this decision. I wasn't worried if people said it may not have been a smart choice. What others think of me doesn’t matter to me, and I didn't care if I made a lot of money. What I care a lot about is getting my clients into better jobs - and I found a way to make a living out of my gift.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 18. My career story
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 60. Career change: Switching sectors, industries, and countries - Karen James shares her story and tips.
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert Podcast
- Slade Group
- Watermark Search International
- A Career That Soars
- Click here to download the transcript of this episode.