91. How executives can become strategic with their LinkedIn presence.
Have you updated your LinkedIn profile since you set it up?
Or since you got your new job? In the last 12 months? If not, you may be missing out on leveraging from LinkedIn, big time!
In this episode, I share my journey and evolution using LinkedIn, how I updated my profile and activity over time in line with my career plans. I also share the results I got and how they helped my career advancement.
What you will learn in this episode:
- My personal journey and evolution on LinkedIn: How and why I changed my profile and activity over time.
- The results I got and how I believe LinkedIn has been instrumental in supporting my career advancement and my transition into business ownership.
- The importance of being intentional and having a strategy in mind to get the same results (or even better!) on LinkedIn.
- I’m sharing the top 3 things you should consider doing right now to elevate your executive presence on LinkedIn a few takeaways that I think will help you a lot.
- And I’m going to suggest how you can take it a step further to guarantee that the time you spend on LinkedIn pays off and brings you the connections, networks, invitations that will support your career in the short, medium, and long term.
When I say LinkedIn will support your career, I really mean that it will get you new job opportunities! I have plenty of personal and client experiences to back this claim. So if you are a bit skeptical, remember that you are working with a sample of one (i.e., you), whereas my sample is much larger!
How I updated my LinkedIn profile and activity over time.
I believe the following years were the key tipping points of my career, where I either used LinkedIn to propel me forward or adjusted LinkedIn in line with where my career was progressing. In the podcast episode, I explain each milestone in more detail to share with you my personal journey and evolution on LinkedIn when it comes to my presence and messaging, and how and when I update my profile and activity:
- 2008 - The beginning of LinkedIn
- 2010 - Moving sectors
- 2012 - Senior national role
- 2014 - CEO role
- 2016 - Liberation and LinkedIn articles
- 2018 - Doing a 180 on my profile, articles, and posts to match my business
- 2021 - Crystalized my business on LinkedIn, resulting in lots of new clients.
The results I got by using LinkedIn strategically
I believe LinkedIn has been instrumental in supporting my career advancement and my transition into business ownership. These are the key steps I took on LinkedIn:
- Being intentional and having a strategy in mind.
- Always adjusting my message on LinkedIn in line with my career phase and future plans.
- Making great connections over time: headhunters, recruiters, colleagues, and like-minded people.
The 3 things you should consider doing right now on LinkedIn.
I discuss the following three strategies in more detail in the podcast episode. I believe that activating them can help elevate your executive presence on LinkedIn and help you now and in the future:
- Your top banner is your blue-chip LinkedIn real estate: invest in getting it appropriate for you, your industry, and your employer.
- Don’t try to imitate others - it won’t work for you.
- Your activity is just as important as your profile, if not more!
Take it a step further to guarantee the time you spend on LinkedIn pays off.
LinkedIn should bring you job opportunities, new connections, a professional network, and invitations that will support your career in the short, medium, and long term. If it's not doing that for you, and you want to speed up your results, I've designed the following services to help you:
- Linkedin Audit: I will review your LinkedIn top to bottom, providing you with dozens of recommendations for improvement based on your career goals. You will receive it as a video recording that is yours to keep, so you can refer to my advice and tips as you make changes to your LinkedIn. Click here to learn more.
- Coaching: My group coaching is starting soon. This is a great opportunity for you to dig deeper into your value proposition. Because LinkedIn is just a mechanism to get it out, like a car that takes you places. You need to know where to go. Click here to register your interest.
Still not convinced? Or maybe you have many more career questions and issues to discuss?
Join me next week for a free Job Hunting Masterclass. This will be a great opportunity for you to get to know me, and vice versa! And of course, I have designed it to address the most important issues for job hunters in 2021. You won't find this content anywhere else, I promise! Click here to learn more and register.
When I say LinkedIn will support your career, I really mean that it can get you new job opportunities. And it does not require you to be there all day long! I believe one hour per week is enough to activate the LinkedIn muscles to help you achieve your goals!
Podcast Episode Timestamps:
- 06:12 - How I updated my profile and activity over time and results.
- 31:56 - My top 3 tips: what you should consider doing right now to elevate your executive presence on LinkedIn.
- 36:50 - Take it a step further: guarantee the time you spend on LinkedIn pays off and brings you the connections, network, and invitations that will support your career in the short, medium, and long term.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Download my LinkedIn Check-list
- Subscribe to the Newsletter
- LinkedIn Audit
- Group Coaching
- The Job Hunting Episode (68) About the First 90 Days
- My first article on LinkedIn went viral!
Other ways to enjoy this podcast:
Are you new here? If so, here is a bit about me:
Hello, I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress. If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you are ready, and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now.
Renata Bernarde | Job Hunting Expert | Founder, Pantala Academy