149. Who to call first when you need a new job: Recruiter or Career Coach?
Who to call first when you need a new job: Recruiter or Career Coach? What is the difference between recruiters and career coaches?
These are some of the questions we addressed in this interesting interview with two recruiters, which was recorded live on LinkedIn, YouTube, and Facebook a few weeks ago.
Career coaches differ from recruiters, but I am not sure that professionals understand the difference and the roles we each play in supporting their career progression. So listen to this episode to better understand those differences and find out what you need to know before job hunting.
About our guests:
Jacinta Whelan is a partner with Watermark Executive Search, author, thought leader, and popular speaker on the concept of interim executives, portfolio careers, and future ways of working. She leads the Melbourne office of Watermark and has over 25 years of experience starting and leading Interim businesses in Hong Kong, New York, and Australia.
Adam Neyenhuys is a partner in the Global search firm True Seach, based in Sydney. He leads the FinTech & Financial Services practice across ANZ and the Finance practice across the Asia Pacific.
8:30 What is the role of a recruiter?
16:00 How do recruiters deal with the differentiation of somebody who has been a client and now needs a job?
22:49 Feeling that the recruiter has ghosted you.
32:57 Why is my job application not converting to a job interview?
39:49 That lack of transparency in recruitment and selection.
41:24 The challenge of returning to your home country and looking for work.
45:54 Things executive job candidates can do before they approach a recruiter for a chat. Or should they even come to see you for a chat?
47:59 Can recruiters tell the difference between a job candidate that has done career coaching and one that hasn't?
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 31. Me Inc: Opting for short-term contract post-quarantine
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 78. Portfolio career, what is it, and is it for you? Featuring Jacinta Whelan
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 71. Moving lanes: How to make career changes without going backward, featuring Donna Burr.
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 103. How to make successful career transitions - with Donna Burr.
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 40. How to find a job during the COVID-19 pandemic - with global recruitment expert Geoff Morgan AM.
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 52. Has COVID-19 derailed your career? Interview with recruitment expert Geoff Slade.
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 35. "Let me call you back" - Recruitment trends shaping the job market in 2020.
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 50. What employers want: Skills and attributes needed for business recovery - with Julian Doherty.
- The Job Hunting Podcast 76. Senior executive jobs in regional Australia: What is available, and who are the successful candidates? Featuring regional recruiter Zoe Allan.
- Find My Talents: My new service is designed to help you better understand your top talents, carer drivers, and personal values.
Other ways to enjoy this podcast: