186. From job applications to interviews: Common roadblocks and how a career coach can helpMay 15, 2023
Are you feeling stuck in your job search or unsure about your career prospects? As a career coach, I believe that sometimes clients are just one conversation away from figuring out something crucial about their job search or career. In this article, I will share the four most popular reasons why professionals reach out to me for private career consultations and explain how talking to someone about these issues can make a significant impact on your career.
As a career coach, I offer a range of services that cater to the needs of my clients. Sometimes clients need long-term strategic coaching to prepare for career advancement, while at other times, they need someone to help them figure out something in just one hour. That's where my 1-hour consultation service comes in handy. This service is versatile and popular because there are so many things we can resolve in just one hour.
The power of a one-hour career consultation in unlocking career success
Here are the four most popular reasons why people come to me for career consultations:
- Preparing a job application: Resume, cover letter, and other documents If you're preparing to apply for a job and want to ensure your application stands out from the rest, a career coach can help. You may need tactical and practical advice on how to create the best possible job application within a reasonable timeframe. Sometimes, we can't wait too long because some roles have deadlines. A coach can also help you prepare a job application that you can recycle if you don't get the job.
- Preparing for an important job interview By far, the most popular reason people come to me for consultations is to prepare for an important job interview. If you've done a few interviews but feel like you're stuck in the interview phase, working with a coach can help. Interview styles and methods, questions, and even cultural nuances can vary from country to country, industry to industry, and role to role. A coach can help you prepare for unexpected questions and provide advice on how to optimize your performance by feeling calm and relaxed during the interview.
- Understanding what is wrong If you're not getting the results you want from your job search, it can be frustrating and demotivating. Sometimes, you need to work with an expert coach to help you reset and refocus. A coach can help you identify blind spots that may be obstructing your view, understand and translate feedback, and figure out what's going wrong so you can rinse and repeat until you succeed.
- Losing focus: Applying for jobs is a continuous improvement process. You may not land your dream job on your first attempt, but you can build momentum, gain knowledge about how to apply, and find your mojo. A coach can help you stay focused and motivated throughout the process so you don't give up before you reach your goals.
In conclusion, investing in your career and seeking guidance from a career coach can make a significant impact on your job search and career prospects. Whether you need tactical and practical advice or long-term strategic coaching, there's a service out there that can help you achieve your goals. Don't wait until your dream job is advertised to start investing in your career. Build your skills, gain knowledge, and find your mojo so that when that big opportunity comes up, you're ready for it.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 1. Preparing a job application - 04:21
- 2. Preparing for an important job interview - 12:25
- 3. Understanding what is going wrong - 18:48
- 4. Losing focus when applying for jobs - 25:02