207. Modernizing Job Applications: Leveraging AI, LinkedIn, and Expert Coaching for SuccessOct 09, 2023
Every job seeker faces the challenge of making their application stand out. I believe it's important to blend the traditional job application tips you may already know with new tools and resources available today, especially AI and LinkedIn. So, in this episode, I discuss 7 essential job application tips but with a fresh perspective, fusing traditional strategies with the benefits of modern AI tools and the power of LinkedIn. I hope it will inspire you to learn more about up-to-date techniques you can and need to employ today to stand out in the job market, making your job application noticeable and memorable.
Traditional Wisdom, Modern Approach: Why I believe the basics of job applications remain vital, and how to modernize them with tech tools.
Here is a summary of the seven tips I discuss in this episode:
- Guideline Adherence: The importance of sticking to application guidelines and how AI and LinkedIn can help ensure compliance.
- Language Matters: My tips for impeccable language in applications, including leveraging AI tools and LinkedIn as references.
- Simplicity is Key: Crafting concise applications that capture the reader's attention is key. And with insights from AI tools like ChatGPT, you can get help and streamline the content of your job application.
- Drawing Parallels: I share techniques to connect your experiences with the job role and how platforms like LinkedIn can provide a reference.
- The Business Approach: I explain how treating the application as a business proposal - and positioning yourself as the solution - is the key to success.
- Effective Communication: The underrated power of phone calls in job hunting and how to harness LinkedIn's messaging feature.
- Research, Research, Research: I discuss the importance of deep-diving into company culture statements, strategy documents, and news and how AI and LinkedIn tools can make this easier.
As the job market evolves, so should our strategies. By blending age-old wisdom with modern tools, job seekers can save time and navigate the application process with confidence and finesse. Whether you're just starting to look for a new job or have been in the job market for a while, I hope this episode offers valuable insights to elevate your job application game.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 03:32 - Tip 1: Stick to the Guidelines
- 11:15 - Tip 2: Mind Your Language
- 16:59 - Tip 3: Keep it Simple
- 20:51 - Tip 4: Connect the Dots
- 26:39 - Tip 5: Think Business
- 32:04 - Tip 6: Dial In
- 37:18 - Tip 7: Do Your Homework
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Pymetrics: An AI-driven job application platform
- Grammarly: An AI-powered grammar and spell-check tool
- Zoho CRM: AI-powered tool for timely communication reminders
- Notion: productivity and note-taking web application
- Episode 190 - Using AI for job hunting and career development: An Interview with OpenAI's ChatGPT
- Episode 199 - Job Hunting in the AI Era: Making Your CV Stand Out