112. Job Hunting Q&A: How to say no to a job you don’t want and get feedback for the jobs you do.
In this episode, I am answering 11 questions related to job hunting which I received throughout the year. These questions about job application, working with recruiters, resignation, and much more. What should you do if you don't want to continue interviewing for a job? How to connect with a recruiter when you haven't heard from them in a while? How to ask for feedback?
Want to know the answers? Tune in!
- [04:11] Question 1: I changed my mind: I recently applied for a job, and after making it through the second round of interviews, I am questioning whether I should proceed with the next stage. After the interview, I'm not sure that I'd like the role if I were selected.
- [08:44] Question 2: How far is too far? Is it ok to leave off a few years of your early career? How much is ok to leave off?
- [12:09] Question 3: Internal competition: I had an interview today for a role. At the end of the interview, they informed me they had an internal candidate at the end stage of the process. Although I believe it is positive the company now knows me, and I have got to know their HR team, I notice this has happened to me a few times. Is it wise to ask the recruiter whether there are internal candidates? Secondly, how is that question perceived?
- [15:08] Question 4: It's taking too long: Why is it taking so long for the recruiter to get back to me about a role?
- [20:36] Question 5: Upside down method: After submitting my application via the company HR portal, I also email the HR contact advertising the position on LinkedIn via the LinkedIn message system. Or the HR contact via the company email, or I find the Hiring manager via LinkedIn.
- [26:56] Question 6: A recruiter left me a voicemail yesterday to tell me I, unfortunately, didn't get through to the next round of interviews. Should I contact her to ask for feedback or just let it go?
- [30:01] Question 7: Should I add interim work on LinkedIn if what I am really looking for is a permanent position?
- [32:52] Question 8: I'm thinking of resigning. What are your thoughts?
- [35:30] Question 9: Some of my friends get recruiters calling them regularly. I have only had 2 in 10 years! Is it just the industry I am in? Why is this so?
- [37:39] Question 10:What are some good experiences to put on your cv while on a gap in between employment? (e.g., volunteering experience)
- [39:54] Question 11: Can you share your approach to keeping in touch with your former colleagues?
Links mentioned in this episode:
Access the Reset Your Career Workshop: https://www.renatabernarde.com/reset
Episodes 31: https://www.renatabernarde.com/blog/31-me-inc
Episode 77 with James Brook: https://www.renatabernarde.com/blog/77-career-assessment-test