49. Leadership and career success: The advice you probably didn't get - with Susan Colantuono.
Susan Colantuono's TED Talk "The career advice you probably didn't get" has over 4 million views and has recently been included as one of the top 10 TEDTalks for career moves by The Enterprise Project. TED has also included it in a special playlist for women's career development. It has been my favorite for years, and I often recommend it to my coaching clients. So it was a huge honor to have Susan as my guest for this episode. We recorded live in August 2020 during the 2020 Digital Innovation Forum, organized by the Department of Jobs, Precinct, and Regions of Victoria.
I was so grateful that, in preparation for the recording of this episode, I had the opportunity to read her book, No Ceiling, No Walls*, which I now recommend to my clients as well.
This episode is dedicated to a better understanding of the relationship between leadership skills and career progression. Susan and I go through many exciting discussions about leadership and its link to career development and advancement. This synergy and connection are crucial for my ambitious clients: those who want to look for a new job opportunity and want that opportunity to stretch their skills and experience further.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 09:50 – Susan's career story
- 16:00 – How she chose her preferred area of expertise
- 17:59 – The idea behind her famous TEDTalk: The 'missing 33%'
- 21:51 – Feedbacks and pushbacks
- 25:23 – What has changed since her book No Ceiling, No Walls was written 10 years.
- 30:19 – Superwomen and infrastructure
- 34:09 – Tools and resources to move forward in your career
- 37:32 – Be careful what you're good at
- 40:27 – Employee perspective and manager perspective
- 42:26 – Hiring you is an investment
- 46:26 – Participant's question: Promotion in the higher-education/public sector
- 50:41 – Participant's question: Insights on diversity and inclusion
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- Susan's Ted Talk: The career advice you probably didn't get
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 37 with Michelle Redfern: The missing 33%: The CEO confidant improving diversity and inclusion in corporate Australia.
- Susan Colantuono's book: No Ceilings No Walls*
- Women's leadership community: A Career That Soars!
- Download a transcript of this episode