189. Mastering job applications and interviews for career success – Q&A Part 2/2Jun 05, 2023
Are you feeling uncertain about the dos and don'ts of job applications and interviews? Do you want to approach your next interview with confidence and land that dream job? Then, this episode is for you. In this episode of "The Job Hunting Podcast," I continue to answer questions sent to me by listeners. This is part 2 of a two-part Q&A recording, so make sure you go back and listen to the previous episode as well (Number 187).
By answering listeners' questions, we delve into the world of job hunting, providing tried-and-true tips to help you ace your next interview and embark on or advance your career. Join me as I discuss common challenges job seekers face, as well as industry trends and effective strategies to help you prepare for your next job interview. I hope this episode will equip you with the knowledge you need to succeed.
Below I address some of the key issues we discuss in this episode:
Unveiling the Secrets of Job Hunting
Have you ever wondered what ATS (Applicant Tracking System) is and how it affects your job application? We break it down for you, explaining its significance and providing insights into optimizing your application to pass the ATS screening process with flying colors.
Addressing Ambiguity and Trusting Job Offers
It's not uncommon to encounter job offers for positions in small to medium-sized companies where the job description is vague and the recruiter emphasizes potential over concrete responsibilities. But can you trust such opportunities? We dive into this topic, examining the factors to consider when evaluating such offers and helping you make informed decisions.
Reentering the Workforce with Confidence
Taking a break from your career to raise a family is a noble endeavor, but transitioning back into the workforce can be daunting. We share valuable advice for rebranding yourself, crafting a standout resume, and optimizing your LinkedIn profile to highlight your skills and experiences gained during your time away.
Finding Part-Time Senior Positions
Returning to work after parental leave and seeking challenging part-time roles can be a struggle. We explore strategies for identifying corporate, senior-level part-time jobs that align with your expertise and interests. Discover how to overcome obstacles and find fulfilling opportunities that match your skills and lifestyle.
Breaking Through Ageism Barriers
Are you considering a career change at a later stage in life but finding it challenging to secure interviews due to ageism? We provide insights on tailoring your CV, including whether removing certain dates is beneficial. Additionally, we discuss crafting a cover letter that addresses age-related concerns and showcases your abilities and passion for the job.
Unlocking the Power of LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a powerful tool for professional networking and job searching, but it can be disheartening if you're not receiving any responses. We share practical tips, including Renata's LinkedIn audit, that will increase your visibility and attract recruiters. Learn how to optimize your profile and engage with the LinkedIn community to enhance your chances of being contacted for relevant opportunities.
Remember to subscribe and follow The Job Hunting Podcast
If you're ready to take your job-hunting journey to the next level, "The Job Hunting Podcast" has got you covered. With a focus on job applications, interviews, and navigating the professional landscape, this episode provides invaluable advice and actionable strategies for achieving career success. Remember, the podcast is not affiliated with any specific job search platform or company, and the information shared is for educational purposes only, tailored to suit individual circumstances.
Tune in, grab your favorite beverage, and join us for a casual yet essential chat. Prepare to be inspired, motivated, and equipped with the knowledge you need to make a lasting impression and land that great new job!
Disclaimer: The advice provided in this blog post is based on the information presented in the podcast episode. Please adapt the recommendations to your specific situation and consult with professionals as needed.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 04:40 - Question 7: "What is ATS again?"
- 14:42 - Question 8: "If a recruiter tries to sell you a position for a small to medium size company, where there is no PD and the responsibilities are vague, and describes it as having a lot of potential, can you trust the job and the company?"
- 19:29 - Question 9: "I am re-entering the workforce after taking an 8-year break to have/raise my kids. After 8 years, and want to venture into a new space, how do I brand myself/present myself and create a resume/linked-in profile?"
- 23:40 - Question 10: "Do you have any advice on looking for corporate, senior, but part-time jobs? I'm returning to work after parental leave and finding it difficult to find sufficiently challenging/interesting part-time work."
- 27:31 - Question 11: "I am working through changing careers at 58, I have had some success but finding it hard to get interviews."
- 31:38 - Question 12: "Wondering if I should remove some dates from my CV and if is there anything I should say in a cover letter that may change thoughts around ageism regarding my ability to do the job."
- 35:08 - Question 13: "No one has EVER contacted me on LinkedIn! Do you have to have Premium?"
- 40:16 - Question 14: "My company is in trouble, and people are saying there is going to be a restructuring soon, and that could mean I could lose my job. What can I do now to prepare for the job market?"