162. What happens after we quit our jobs: An interview with Sara McElroy, Wall-Street Journal’s poster girl for the Great Resignation.Nov 28, 2022
Sara McElroy was burned out, overworked, sick, and running on empty. She joined the Great Resignation not once but twice. Now, Sara is writing the stories of dozens of professional women who quit their jobs during the pandemic. This podcast episode will be a great listen if you are:
- Feeling burned out and stressed, even if you love your job.
- Looking for work opportunities that allow you the flexibility you have been craving, such as working from home, working remotely, or having a better schedule.
- Interested to know what it would look like to work for yourself.
- Curious to know what happened to professionals who quit their jobs.
About our guest:
Sara McElroy is a two-time member of the Great Resignation: class of 2021 and 2022. A former Chief Marketing Officer, she now finds herself in the company of millions of other professionals who also set unfulfilling jobs ablaze during the Great Resignation. So, she returned to her journalism roots and began to explore the stories, breaking points, and defining moments that led women to seek greater opportunities mid-pandemic. These conversations became the genesis of Raze to Rise – an organization created to amplify women's voices from the Great Resignation and inspire others to blaze new trails in their own careers.
04:22 - Sara McElroy's career story
05:02 - Sara McElroy's burnout story
09:53 - Sara McElroy's business journey
12:09 - Building Reputation
15:59 - Nurturing and serving a community
18:19 - Industrial revolution
20:49 - Sara McElroy's key strengths that have helped her throughout her career
24:00 - So many professionals are burned out: How Sara McElroy is helping her community
27:32 - The impact of personal stories on Sara McElroy's life and business
31:04 - Sara McElroy's connection with employers
36:36 - What's wrong with Elon Musk's employee form
37:19 - Working from home
41:40 - Toxic workplaces
44:07 - Interesting things Sarah McElroy has learned about women at work
48:33 - What is intuition
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Find My Talents: Learn about your strengths, and watch your career grow
- Wall Street Journal article mentioning Sara McElroy
- Are you ready to quit? Take the quiz on Sara McElroy's website
- Raize to Rise
- Daniel Kahneman is the author of the best-selling book, Thinking, Fast and Slow. In this video, he explains the concept of Intuition and Expertise, which Sara and I discussed during our chat.