193. Nurturing networks and owning your career: A conversation with Janine GarnerJul 03, 2023
In the latest episode of The Job Hunting Podcast, I had the privilege of interviewing Janine Garner, a powerhouse in the world of leadership and business coaching. Janine's contagious energy and enthusiasm made her one of the easiest guests to interview, as she generously shared her knowledge and insights on unlocking true potential to achieve professional goals. She is a sought-after corporate speaker, coach, and facilitator, often working with companies to build high-performing teams through her leadership training sessions. Janine is also passionate about business coaching, specifically in helping women establish their businesses, drawing from her experiences as an entrepreneur.
Approaching the interview, I was unsure what to expect, but I strongly believed it would be an extraordinary conversation. I often avoid prepping my guests, as I prefer to let the conversation flow and for the chat to be less planned and more organic. I believe this episode will be very popular, as we dove into topics that resonate with many topics I have discussed in my solo episodes, which I know many listeners have enjoyed.
We delved into topics such as:
- The importance of crafting a clear and consistent message about your value and competitive advantage.
- The significance of trusting your intuition as an expert in your field. Janine's powerful statement, "Companies own jobs. You own your career," perfectly aligned with the core philosophy of this podcast and my work as a career coach—empowering individuals to make decisions about their futures.
- A range of compelling subjects, including her personal journey of transitioning from the corporate world to bootstrapping her own business.
- We also explored how people react when they opt out of a seemingly stable career, as well as what Janine calls the "Massive Adaptive Challenge," and the essential ingredients for success in our rapidly evolving world.
- Janine also provided valuable insights on starting a business, starting a new career path, or initiating a project in 2023.
- For me, the highlight of our conversation was Janine's emphasis on the importance of nurturing a diverse and supportive network. She discussed the four types of people you need in your network, shedding light on the power of meaningful connections and collaborations. Janine's final message was inspiring and motivating, urging listeners to pursue their ambitions with unwavering determination.
It was a pleasure to interview Janine, whom I've heard so much about from my husband - he did a corporate leadership program run by her when he worked at Hewlett-Parker, and has been telling me all about it ever since! I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did.
About our guest:
Janine spent 20 years working her way across the world, putting together award-winning marketing campaigns and strategies for high-profile brands like Ralph Lauren, Oroton, Jaeger, Sainsbury's Homebase, and Citizen Watches. It was whilst working as a senior leader that she learned about the power of connection and what it takes to unlock the brilliance in teams and leaders. A highly sought-after keynote speaker, educator, and author, Janine has worked with thousands of high-profile leaders from around the world and helped countless of Australia's top 50 ASX companies and multinationals – EY, CBRE, DXC Technology, Hewlett Packard, Microfocus, Optus and CBA to name a few. She is the best-selling author of Its Who You Know – How a Network of 12 key people can fast-track your success and From Me To We – why commercial collaboration will future-proof business, leaders, and personal success. Learn more about Janine on her website.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 04:07 - Janine Garner stepped out of the corporate world to bootstrap her business
- 11:36 - How do people react when you opt out of a perfectly good career
- 16:57 - The Massive Adaptive Challenge: What it Takes to Succeed in our world today
- 34:18 - How to start a business, a new career, or a project in 2023
- 39:08 - The four types of people you need to have in your network
- 47:00 - Janine's final message to inspire you to achieve your ambition