69. The Job Hunting Experience, featuring Amber Knight.
About our guest, Amber Knight
Ocean Swimmer, inflexible yogi. Passable cook and endlessly curious, Amber Knight is a senior commercial and marketing executive with over 20 years of experience in creative industries – specifically film and television distribution. Starting with a career in ad agencies, she has spent the bulk of her career with two of the world’s most successful and respected media companies – the BBC and The Walt Disney Company. After being made redundant in late 2019, Amber started an MBA program with AGSM at UNSW and spent all of 2020 in a frustrating job search. Amber is going to be participating in my next online coaching programming and is contemplating a portfolio career.
The pandemic and job searching.
Redundancy and job searching is a reality to be expected by most corporate professionals at some point in their career. But when a pandemic of global scale interferes, the experience can become heightened as the number of unemployed worldwide is at its peak.
In this episode of the Job Hunting Podcast, I interviewed Amber Knight, a real podcast listener and someone who experienced redundancy during the pandemic. Amber has been job hunting during 2020, and we discuss her experience, frustrations, learnings, and the steps she has taken to keep herself resilient and on track to achieve her career goals.
Searching for a job in a time of crisis.
Amber was made redundant at the end of 2019, a few months before the pandemic hit. She expected that she would be able to find a job in 3 to 4 months, so she took some time off and went on an international family vacation before looking for work. In hindsight, Amber would have done things differently, even without the pandemic’s impact, if she had better career guidance when she was made redundant. Examples are being more conservative with her family budget or understanding how long it takes to find another job in her sector and executive level. These are planning strategies she has since learned by doing the Reset Your Career Program, my program designed for professionals who have left their jobs or are considering leaving their jobs and careers.
Amber mentioned she did sabotage her job search by spending too much time on online platforms such as LinkedIn and Seek.com, checking for jobs, and checking profiles. But she also did some positive strategies: she networked and kept in touch with former colleagues and peers.
In our chat, she mentions how she discovered and binged on The Job Hunting Podcast and said how much the free Optimized Job Search Schedule helped her build her daily routine. Amber will be doing the Job Hunting Made Simple online course & group coaching program. This program is open for enrolment now, and enrolments close very soon on Monday, 22 February. So go to my website and check it out ASAP!
What difference can a career coach to your job searching journey?
A mentor and coach can get you started on the right track, check your progress, advise you on what to do until you reach momentum, and continue achieving your goals.
During our chat, Amber mentioned she didn’t know what she didn’t know, and this is often very true when it comes to job hunting and career advancement! If she had a dedicated coach from the very start, Amber says she would have done many things more differently. I can’t wait for her to join the Job Hunting Made Simple course to provide her with the framework she deserves; this will be so exciting!
Job hunting may take longer than you think. It requires knowledge of things that have nothing to do with your profession, discipline, and patience. I can help you in this process and guide you on the steps you need to take.
The Job Hunting Made Simple Online Course & Group Coaching Program
Job Hunting Made Simple is a 7-week online course + coaching program created by Renata Bernarde that shows you how to plan and advance your career in an intentional, inspiring, and fun way. It is a proven blueprint for creating a prosperous career and attracting your next job.
Looking for work and taking the next steps to advance your career can be a stressful and lonely experience. The information overload we experience every day drains our capacity to think and plan strategically for our lives, careers, and future happiness. The Job Hunting Made Simple program provides a framework to make sense of all the options, opportunities, and steps ahead in an intentional, inspiring, and simple way.
Job Hunting Made Simple was created for you if you are:
- serious about your future career progression, but unsure how to achieve your goals
- in-between jobs and not knowing if you're putting time and effort into the right strategies
- returning to the job market after being without work for an extended time and feeling like the pandemic has taken away your confidence
- with the same organization for a long time, and you haven't looked for work outside of your organization in a while. Or if you have, you've been unsuccessful.
- ready to look for new job opportunities, but can't find the time or focus on doing it!
- you feel overwhelmed and pulled in different directions, and you wish you had guidance and a framework you could follow.
If this is you, then this program is for you. I look forward to seeing you on the inside!
To learn more about the Job Hunting Made Simple online course & group coaching program, CLICK HERE.
- 03.50 - How Amber found The Job Hunting Podcast
- 06.40 - Amber's career journey
- 12.06 - Amber's job hunting experience
- 15.20 - Amber's daily routine
- 18.23 - Other activities to help in the job hunting journey
- 19.48 - Frustrations that Amber encountered in job hunting
- 26.32 - Technology and interviews
- 31.28 - The difference having a mentor/coach can in your job hunting success
- 33.33 - 35.56 - Amber's vision for 2021
- 40.57 - About Job Hunting Made Simple
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Made Simple Program: Enrolments Closing Soon
- Free Webinar: Have the best career
- The Job Hunting Podcast Interview With Recruiter Anita Ziemer "Let me call you back" - Recruitment trends shaping the job market in 2020
- Amber’s favorite free resource: The Optimized Job Search Schedule
- Reset Your Career: Workshop & Action Plan To Get You Back On Track
- LinkedIn video interview prep tool
- Amber's LinkedIn Article about The Job Hunting Podcast
- Download a transcript of this podcast
Free tools & where to listen to The Job Hunting Podcast:
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career.
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast.
- My website.
Are you new here? If so, here is a bit about me:
Hello, and welcome! I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach professionals in the corporate, non-profit, and public sectors the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you ready and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I've created a series of free tools and resources. I developed a range of services for professionals in career or job transition. And, of course, I also coach private clients. So there is no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
Please support this podcast: Follow, subscribe, rate, and review:
Please consider reviewing my show and giving it a 5-star rating on iTunes. It's one of the best gifts one can be a podcaster, and I'll be so happy you wouldn't believe it! When you write a review and give it five stars, it helps the podcast reach more people like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement.
Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select "Write a review." Then let me know in a few words what you think about the show and how it has helped you. And if you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe!
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now
Renata Bernarde | Job Hunting Expert | Founder, Pantala Academy