55. From city life to tropical paradise: A positive redundancy story update with Alistair Freeman.Nov 09, 2020
In November 2019, a podcast listener contacted me to say Alistair Freeman had written a very personal account on LinkedIn about his experience being made redundant, looking for work, tapping on his network, going through recruitment and selection, and ultimately finding a new job. At the time, those honest and vulnerable personal stories of redundancies were nowhere to be found. After reading his post, I messaged him and invited Alistair to expand on his experience a bit more as a guest of this podcast. That episode is number 8. Positive Redundancy: Interview with Alistair Freeman.
Since then, a lot has changed! I enjoyed my chat with Alistair and had penciled in my calendar that it would be great to catch up with him again in 12 months. Considering Alistair made a sector change and a seachange, I am grateful that he agreed to the second interview: these are two very trendy ideas with professionals impacted by the pandemic.
Once again, Alistair was a fantastic guest, really open and generous with his time and tips for other professionals going through a career transition. I hope that you enjoy the chat and that Alistair's positivity inspires you.
Alistair was fortunate to have a career coach as part of his redundancy plan. If there's anything I can do to support your career transition, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]
04:19 – Moving from a big city to a small town.
08:52 – Internet connectivity.
11:19 – Regional community and the pandemic.
13:37 – Regional jobs.
15:53 – Remote work and living in the "bush."
17:46 – Planning your move.
21:18 – Finding a job.
23:38 – Moving on a budget.
25:51 – The downside.
27:58 – Others following his footsteps?
30:28 – Moving, children, and networking.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 8: Positive Redundancy: Interview with Alistair Freeman
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 41: Escape to the country: Can remote work and the pandemic re-shape our cities and regional towns? - with Liz Ritchie
- ABC Four Corners Episode The Job Ahead: Surviving Australia's COVID-19 recession
- Click here to open the transcript of this episode on our new blog.