136. Simple ideas to help you prepare for online job interviews - with Abhishek Kaushik.May 30, 2022
Abhishek Kaushik is the CEO & Co-Founder of WeCP, a one-of-a-kind tech screening platform that helps recruiters and hiring managers to evaluate developers faster and more efficiently.
Abhishek aims to make the hiring process straightforward and efficient by adding a skill test to the tech recruitment process. Abhishek has reduced the total time to hire for most of their clients by 90% or more by implementing these ideas.
In this episode, we chat with Abhishek about:
- The Future of Tech Recruitment: If you have been job hunting recently, you know that you cannot avoid technology anymore in the recruitment process. At every executive and professional level, it's all-encompassing.
- How you can use "First Principles" and creative thinking to help you prepare for job interviews and help solve work problems.
- What the future will look like for recruitment and selection of candidates.
About our guest
In 2015, Abhishek and his co-founder wanted to test an idea that emerged from a random Chai chat in a college cafeteria. They created their first screening platform as the nerds they were, obsessed over coding challenges. By 2018, they had honed in on their product — an award-winning library of questions, compilers, and the ability to hire at scale attracted enterprise names.
Skip forward to today, and WeCP stands as a one-of-its-kind tech screening platform helping recruiters and hiring managers worldwide evaluate developers faster and with utmost efficiency. WeCP has been recognized as the "Top 4 Startup in India" by Startup Nexus, IC^2 in 2017, "Emerging Startups" by K-Startup World Grand Challenge in 2018, and "Top SaaS Startups" by Upekkha Catalyst- in 2019. WeCP is the Momentum Leader and Top Performer in the Technical Skills Screening Software category on G2.
You can connect with Abhishek:
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Article about first principles: Elon Musks' "3-Step" First Principles Thinking: How to Think and Solve Difficult Problems Like a Genius by Mayo Oshin.
- Take it a step further and listen to this episode about Bayes' theorem - when to use it and when not to use it - which is a tool for analysis of first principles: The Jolly Swagman Podcast Episode 139: Against Bayesianism - David Deutsch.
- The book I mentioned discusses knowledge workers' lack of creative thinking: Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work by Matthew B Crawford (Amazon affiliate link).
- Click here to open the transcript of this episode.
02:48 - Abhi's career story
10:49 - Abhi's 3 Ps strategy to start a business
15:15 - Simple Idea Number 1: Creative thinking
19:04 - Simple Idea Number 2: First Principles
27:19 - Abhi's tips for professionals to be better colleagues in a digital work environment
30:11 - Final reflections.